Monday, July 15, 2013

Baby Girl Nursery Style

I am a very impatient person.  People have been telling me to be patient my entire life.  I wanted to be 10 when I was 5.  I wanted to be 16 when I was 12.  I wanted to have an adult life when I was 19.  Now, I want to plan for retirement.  It's horrible...definitely not my best quality.  BUT, it has helped me develop my critical thinking skills that have made me an excellent planner.  Since we don't get to find out the sex of the baby for another five weeks, I've been planning for both!  Some would say this is a waste of time; I say it's prudent.

When I first started thinking of having a girl, I was sold on having a very traditional nursery with gold gilded surfaces, natural textures and romantic floral patterns.  But, lately I've really been thinking about the type of girl I want to raise- a fiercely independent thinker who finds her confidence in her intelligence and creativity, not her outer beauty or attention.  So, I started considering a fun, creative oasis that's stimulating and eclectic (because who wants a one dimensional personality?), yet feminine and encouraging.

To help me make this decision, I decided to create two design boards and ask for your help!!  I'll be making two more for baby boy options, but for now, weigh in on my baby girl's little space in our home!


Traditional: Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 | Image 4 | Wallpaper pattern 1 | Crib

So, what do you think?!  Any thoughts?  I love the traditional look; maybe I'm over thinking the design/personality correlation.  But, I also really love the youthful, fun vibe of the whimsical design.  It's a little less cookie cutter and would be fun to put together.  But, would I get tired of all the color?  Would it be overstimulating for such little eyes?  I can't wait to hear your opinions!!

5 comments:

  1. I like both very much. I love love love the rug on board #2. It just screams sassy girl. Both are very feminine and girly. I would go with the fun one. Pretty soon, she will not let you have a say so do what you want now…lol I am sure it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote whimsical :) That's the direction I was going to head if I was having a baby girl this time around... I love a mixture of subtle colors in a room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input, guys!! I think I'm leaning towards whimsical too! I fell in love with that rug and now I can't imagine a baby girl's nursery without it! I may give it that ornate feel that I love by spraying the light fixture from Ikea gold and including some vintage ornate pieces in a gallery wall that I'm planning.

    Once we find out the sex of the baby, I'll officially pick a design and post a more in depth specs board! :) Soooo exciting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whimsical!! But you can combine some of the elements from the Traditional one into the Whimsical. The sketches, for instance, would be great (maybe with an extra splash of color to go with your brighter palette)! They can go in your gallery wall! AHHH!! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the second one - especially the combo of bright yellow and pink.

    ReplyDelete